Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Creative Perspective

Do you ever get down on yourself because you aren't regularly checking items off your to-do or goals lists? Yeah, me, too.

The voices in my head remind me ...
I haven't finish my work in progress.
I haven't finished a quilt project. (Finished? I haven't started)
I haven't kept up with my reading list....

And so it goes...

We creative souls beat ourselves up over our short falls and short comings. We are sensitive and easily discouraged at times. But, here's a thought. Instead of focusing on what hasn't been done, swap the perspective to what has been done. Unless you've been sitting in front of the TV 24/7, your list will get impressively long.

I have written. I have cleaned out some messes. I have painted and redecorated a room. I've helped my son and daughter in law move out. I've cooked some great meals. I'ved done a lot of stained glass. I've spent time being a friend. I've spent time with my husband.

The lists go on...

Take stock of what you have accomplished in the last few weeks. You'll feel confident and refreshed afterwards.

3 Other Creative Souls are Saying:

Joanne said...

So true. Generally the "should do" list is manufactured in our brain. No one else cares if something isn't done. I speak after a truly lazy slothful Sunday (lots of Olympics) and I have no regrets. But I really should do a rewrite today. But I have to check for snowflakes....

JoJo said...

So very true! I have lists in my head, on paper in my purse, on paper on the kitchen table, and don't get me started on the craft projects filling my head..... so much to do, so little time! Part of my problem is that Facebook sucked me in for the better part of 2009, but I am trying to spend less time on it.

On the other hand, you are right, if I review the past few weeks, I have made some great strides!

Unknown said...

Yep - I hear ya! I have several projects collecting dust that I would love to get to. Having to work a lot puts a damper on it. But my oldest and her family are here for a few weeks and I would just rather play with that grandson of mine than anything else so that's perspective! :-)