Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Out Beyond...

A quote found in an old appointment book of mine...

Out beyond ideas of right thinking or wrong thinking there lies a field....
I'll meet you there.
They make me want to be very, very brave in my work, but I have no idea what that means exactly.
What about you?

5 Other Creative Souls are Saying:

JoJo said...

The field is neutral territory.

Rachel Wayne Bridges said...

That is inspiring. It makes me want to go find a field and stay there until my laptop is dead.

Joanne said...

Since I'm totally wrapped in Olympics right now, I think it's that same feeling as the ski jumpers or anyone at the gate ready to go for it. Just plunge down the mountain - i.e. write some crazy dialogue, steal material from folks talking at a coffee shop and use it, put your protagonist in harm's way and then get them out of it. Write something you'd never write - step out of the comfort zone.

Excellent quote. Makes me think, because I'm stuck in the "box" and need to follow my advice.

Anonymous said...

Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase
each other
doesn't make any sense.

Rumi
(Sufi Mystic 1207-1273 A.D.)
translation by Coleman Barks

Thought you might want to see the entire poem. -- Jan

DebMc said...

Jan, that's fantastic! Thank you for sharing the complete poem. I love it.

Joanne, that's how the phrase hit me too...bust out and be braver about bending and breaking the rules.

Rachel, I had to laugh about staying until the laptop battery is dead. I get it.

JoJo, doesn't it feel great to be in neutral territory from time to time. Peaceful.

Great comments! Thanks!